Wednesday, May 16, 2012

London, You're Beautiful



This is the other part of the diptych. Photograph and sketch.

Every now and then, I get asked to review something, promote something, through this blog. If I like it, I tell you about it, I don't have a problem with that arrangement.

Penguin Books contacted me and asked if I would like a copy of David Gentleman's new book, "London You're Beautiful", I said yes. I didn't expect it to be an absolute gem of a book - this guy has spent a year going around London, sketching, painting and this book is the result. I love it to bits - I know so much of what is in there, I know where he stood, what he saw, his images are the opposite side of a photograph, not so much the picture as the feeling.

This image is a very small one in his book, but it so illustrates what I mean. If you love London, you will love this book.

I don't think I will be able to resist posting more images, I hope the publishers don't mind, in future I will publish them side by side. I am certainly going to be finding out more about the man ... and seeing if I can afford any of his work.

You can read more reviews and information in these links: 1, 2, 3, you can buy it here: London, You're Beautiful: An Artist's Year


posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 4

Comments on "London, You're Beautiful"

 

Blogger Steve A said ... (04:20) : 

While it isn't actually a photo, it still fits the theme.

 

Blogger Chrissy Brand said ... (11:30) : 

Sounds great - will have a look.

 

Blogger Julie said ... (12:56) : 

Yes, absolve yourself of all angst. I infringe more 'rules' with every post than you ever will. This is a great idea and way of incorporating the book.

I am like you. I accept nothing from anyone. If I like the idea of something I attend, and will even pay my own entry. If I like what I see, I will incorporate it into a post.

 

Blogger Julie said ... (12:56) : 

Yes, absolve yourself of all angst. I infringe more 'rules' with every post than you ever will. This is a great idea and way of incorporating the book.

I am like you. I accept nothing from anyone. If I like the idea of something I attend, and will even pay my own entry. If I like what I see, I will incorporate it into a post.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile