Monday, March 19, 2012

St Patricks Day Booze-up



This weekend saw the St Patrick's day parade take place on Sunday. I went to have a look, but I have to be honest, it was all too crowded so I settled on an image of a genuine Irishman on the periphery.

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 5

Comments on "St Patricks Day Booze-up"

 

Anonymous imajoebob said ... (20:07) : 

Is this gentleman supposed to be representative of the typical Irish in London? Why are the Irish the last "acceptable" ethnicity to ridicule and stereotype? Even if this isn't meant as a lame excuse for humour, the context and execution leave me very disappointed.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (20:28) : 

Well, no insult or stereotyping intended, but I'm afraid he was certainly feeling no pain, and he sounded Irish. I quite liked the image as he is clearly happy.

 

Anonymous imajoebob said ... (23:48) : 

I look forward to your photo of a toothless drunken football hooligan kicking another yob senseless to commemorate Her Majesty's diamond jubilee.

No offence taken, I'm sure.

[yes, I'm grinding an axe)

 

Blogger cara said ... (07:56) : 

Being London-Irish myself, I'm uncomfortable with the image and that you referred to him as genuine. I know you only meant it because he sounded like he had an Irish accent but it implies that this is how real Irish people in London celebrate St. Patrick's Day. It's like a cartoon postcard from 1970's London when the Irish were subject to ridicule.

I suppose it raises the interesting question about if you see something that is perhaps stereotypical (but not typical)is it right to deliberately NOT post it because of peoples' sensitivities...

 

Blogger Ham said ... (08:22) : 

Well, I confess that had I considered the matter in that light I would have chosen another in the first place, but having posted it, I feel I should leave it up with the comments.

The only other contender for an image was another Irish (?) person in full costume, green tartan kilt, beret, possibly an army regiment? Unfortunately it was from the rear - may yet post it in the name of balance. It was far, far too crowded on Trafalgar Square to get in and find something more visually appealing.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile