Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Cafe VN



London's cosmopolitan mix of cultures leads to a diversity of foods and restaurants. I have to confess I'd never tried Vietnamese food, so when I called in to Cafe VN on a whim I wasn't sure what to expect. What I got was a delicious bowl of Pho and got to add the Vietnamese basil, lime, bean sprouts after enquiring what to do. I can thoroughly recommend this. The fresh and zesty flavours reminded me most of the food I got travelling in China - that Chinese food that never makes it to these shores.

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 7

Comments on "Cafe VN"

 

Blogger Leif Hagen said ... (01:19) : 

A yummy photo of some scrumptious Vietnamese food!

 

Blogger Montreal Photo Daily said ... (03:09) : 

One of my faves! Did you not feel satiated but not stuffed? Miam, miam.

Cheers.

 

Blogger Bear Mountain Real Estate said ... (03:29) : 

You must visit Vancouver, B.C. for the best Asian food in the world.
Jean Gibson

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (05:12) : 

Pho is tasty - they're are about 2 dozen of them around here that do a great lunch business, but it's only slightly more interesting than Wagamama (which I like).

As great as the Pho may be (and how do Brits pronounce that?), it's like saying you ate Italian cuisine after having pizza. Next trip you HAVE TO try the spring rolls. A good Vietnamese spring roll will make you curse all the Chinese rolls you've ever eaten. They're lighter, crisper, fresher, and the acid test of a good Vietnamese kitchen. Then try something spicy (five-spice chicken is my favorite) or a crisp, whole flounder. Just be really careful with the chili oil; it doesn't "sneak up" on you and just keep getting hotter!

I guess it's a safe way to dip your foot into the pool, but next time dive in. Split some appetizers and try a main dish that's a lot more daring. And get those spring rolls!

 

Blogger Alan said ... (08:02) : 

I kind of see what imajoebob is saying, but pho is the quintessential street dish of Vietnam, I reckon. If you could only ever try one Vietnamese dish, it would have to be this one.

If you find yourself in Camden, try Thanh Binh - cheap and awesome!

 

Blogger Mary deB said ... (13:02) : 

Pho is a great cure for hangovers and jet lag... and anything, really!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (01:20) : 

Sounds more pedantic a day later. Sorry 'bout that.

Like I said (or tried to), the Pho places around me - they actually number them - are seen as big lunch businesses, many even close in the evening. The full-line restaurants have great appetizers and dinner dishes. And seafood is even more prevalent than many Chinese cuisines.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile