Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Darker Docklands

Shot with Olympus E520
As I said yesterday, there was a lot to see and do in the Museum of Docklands. I thought of showing you a picture from the Old Time Music Hall performance, as I took a short video, too. Then I thought, a shot of part of the re-creation of old Docklands scenes, but I realised that you wouldn't be able to experience the smells that they had added (!!!) that transform the experience.

Instead, here is a reminder of the casual racism that was part of the warp and weft of life until not that long ago. One of the things this museum does particularly well is its handling of slavery and its consequences. No over-sentimentality, no beating of chests, just the story straight down the middle, well illustrated by artefacts. It is all the more powerful for that.

Labels: ,

posted by Ham at 00:04 -- Comments here: 0

Comments on "A Darker Docklands"

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile