Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Lord Mayor's Show 2007

Shot with Olympus E510
I couldn't ge to the Lord Mayor of London's parade, but I managed to get some photographs of the preparations. Here you see the float of the Drapers Company.

Now, we blithely call vehicles in a parade "floats" but I don't suppose you've stopped to think why - this photo may give you the hint. Yes, that's right, for may years the Lord Mayor's parade floated down the Thames. But the story doesn't end there.

In years gone by, the Taylors and Skinners companies were rivals. They fought over their position in the parade - number six and number seven and one year someone drowned. The Lord Mayor decreed that from then on they should alternate between position six and position seven - hence the expression "at sixes and sevens".

The "number of things" competition on Friday is still upon until tomorrow, the day the changes arrive.

posted by Ham at 00:24 -- Comments here: 3

Comments on "The Lord Mayor's Show 2007"

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (00:53) : 

I didn't know the origins of 'float'!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (08:40) : 

..and I didn't know the origin of "sixes and sevens". Excellent!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:41) : 

Now I know everything. I had no idea. Interesting post and good photos.

This old man's post brought tears on this Veteran's Day but not because I am a Korean War era veteran.
The Squirrel's Nest

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile