Monday, October 15, 2007

The Terracotta Army


The British Museum is currently holding an exhibition of the First Emperor and the Terracotta Army. The exhibition isn't cheap, but is well worth the entrance price. The story is entirely engaging - the reality of these figures is inspiring. The information provided covers the mundane to esoteric, For example, the enterprise was almost certainly the first example of mass production techniques. The clay warriors were fashioned in factories that used to make drainpipes, so all the legs are basically drainpipes.

It does get crowded, but if you walk around rather than stand in line, you will find that just about everything is accessible. Most (all?) of the stuff has been sent over from Chinese museums, and provided invaluable background to the time of the First Emperor but I was amused by the attention everyone was giving to it - which they would never have done in the ordinary way in a museum. Maybe it was because they had paid.

Two more pictures here.

posted by Ham at 00:38 -- Comments here: 5

Comments on "The Terracotta Army"

 

Blogger Olive said ... (02:31) : 

I love the lighting on this figure. How long will the exhibition be on 'till?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (03:43) : 

ARRGGHH I wanted to go to this but it opened JUST after I left for uni! Dont know when it closes. Am going to see the exhibition at the O2 in November

 

Blogger Ham said ... (08:32) : 

(whoops! link to the BM site fixed) The exhibition runs until April, so plenty of time to get there.

BTW, photography is NOT allowed in the exhibition, so I couldn't for the life of me guess how these photographs came to be taken.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:27) : 

I have heard and read a lot about these figures and seen them on television from China and I am always fascinated. I would say the people are fortunate to get to see them.

 

Blogger Kerry-Anne said ... (10:32) : 

Looks really interesting - I wish an exhibit of that kind would come here.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile