Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Big Giving

Shot with Olympus E500
The Big Giving is a really fun installation on the Southbank, created by Klaus Weber, just south of the Hungerford footbridge. The men and women appear out of blocks of clinker, and they are all ....giving ? .... exuding .... Spewing from their mouths, dripping from their noses, you name it. "The Big Giving" refers to the Native North American "Potlach" ceremony of competitive giving, where the host's status increses the more he gives.

See two more characters here and here

See where on London Daily Photo Map

posted by Ham at 01:24 -- Comments here: 8

Comments on "The Big Giving"

 

Blogger travelphilippines said ... (07:44) : 

beautful fountain.

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (09:46) : 

Well i like the idea, those shapes really do take on a human figure because our minds want them to. The head is there so we want to see a body, that's great! I don't like the spewing aspect though, from orifices such as the nose. Eeeuuuwww.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (09:58) : 

Yes, I really liked these when I came across them too...my favourite is the perspiring woman with the gushing torrent from under her arm but mainly I think because of the wonderful smile on her face. They were all modelled from the artist and friends apparently so I suppose she must have liked the concept of having a waterfall under her arms!

Like many of these public place installations much of the fun is watching how others react to them....although sadly far too many seem to ignore them.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (10:52) : 

I also wonder how many looked at the "Big Giving" title and went on to find out about the Potlach cermemony. Makes me smile that the missionaries called it the work of the devil and legislated against it. Competitive giving isn't as far away as all that. Happy Christmas, everybody.

On a photographic note, it was an interesting challenge to try to capture the fun and the scale of the piece (as opposed to an individual figure), which is what I hope this one does. None of the "group shots" I took look like anything very much, and a quick search of Flickr shows the same. Anyone sees a better picture, I'd be interested.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (17:20) : 

Quite agree... I couldn't capture the whole thing on memory card either...I'm not sure whether that's down to the distracting background or something else?

 

Blogger Ham said ... (17:38) : 

FWIW, I think the background has a lot to do with it, but also it is arranged so that you have to walk round to explore. That means that a full view doesn't work and it's very hard to get two figures into shot to their best advantage. The other difficulty is that it is awkward to convey the sense of fun.

 

Blogger Martin Vodak said ... (13:53) : 

Nice shot, really good one.
About the fountains itself - I think they could look great in the city center that is usually full of polished steel and glass. these fountains look like halfway between humans and earth.

 

Blogger Lunar Chick said ... (16:04) : 

I saw those as I was walking from the Hayward Gallery. They were just brilliant to watch. I think a couple of guys were a little more intrigued as they actually started walking up to one of the statues and studying them. I don't think they were working there as they went back to their meal afterwards!

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile