Friday, March 02, 2007

Bunhill Fields



In honour of St David's day (yes, I KNOW they are narcissus, not daffodils, it's called poetic licence) Here is a shot inside Bunhill Fields, a fascinating place that deserves some explanation.

It is the last remaining London burial ground (as distinct from churchyard), a non-conformist cemetary from the early 1700. William Blake, John Bunyan and Daniel Defoe are all buried here.

It is also another contender for one of London's most hidden spaces, you could pass by for years without knowing it is here.

posted by Ham at 01:56 -- Comments here: 6

Comments on "Bunhill Fields"

 

Blogger J. David Zacko-Smith said ... (07:29) : 

What a fabulous photo - I love cemetary shots. I also love this blog - it always successfully takes me back to time spent in the UK. Greetings from Seattle!

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (09:13) : 

Always a treat to read of Daniel Defoe and a great shot Ham.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (15:19) : 

It is my favorite spot to eat my lunch with a good book. My office is across the street. Will we be seeing a photo of Wesley Chapel soon?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (15:33) : 

Just an FYI for anyone who wants to find this hidden space... the location is actually on the east side of Bunhill Row under the clump of trees. Google Map's accuracy can be a little off sometimes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (23:38) : 

this is totally fascinating... there must be other tiny cemeteries around London just like that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:11) : 

This is where I have lunch too! spent most of last week trying to think of what would be the best angle to make a tombstones/daffodils picture but you beat me to it!

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile