Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Barbican Frieze



This is a detail of a frieze from one of the only buildings from the (old) Barbican left standing after the blitz in 1940. The buiilding was owned the firm of gold refiners and assayers, W Bryer & Sons, founded in 1815 and who still trade in Hatton Garden.

You won't see this by car, as it faces away from the road, so here is the full frieze. here is the map of where it is, and I've marked its exact location here.

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 4

Comments on "Barbican Frieze"

 

Blogger Magnificent Man said ... (04:00) : 

Hi,

I like the picture. That's really cool. I really like this blog, too. I had the opportunity to briefly visit London while on my way to Scotland and Ireland this past September. I didn't have a chance to see the kinds of neat things that are on this site, though.

Keep up the nice work.

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (09:19) : 

This is really amazing, look at the work which went into it. I'm so glad to see this Ham, a real treat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (20:58) : 

Great stuff. Isn't it amazing how much we pass by everyday without giving thought?

This is the kind of stuff I want to see when I visit other cities. Stuff that's not on the regular tour.

Thanks so much for sharing it and for mapping it, too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (02:15) : 

Thanks for showing us this Ham. My mother lived at other end of the Barbican center (Fore Street) and was bombed out. She will like to know that there is still something there left from "her day": a tenuous link to a past she has never wanted to let go.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile