Monday, January 08, 2007

Roll up to Old Holborn



If you want to have an idea of what London looked like 500 years ago, you have to come here to Staple Inn in High Holborn. Built in 1586, as far as I know it is the only building of its type still survivng from before the Great Fire of London in 1666. Barring a small hiccup involving a flying bomb in WWII, it is still intact. History is here.

posted by Ham at 00:51 -- Comments here: 11

Comments on "Roll up to Old Holborn"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (02:20) : 

the stripes are intriguing!

 

Blogger Ham said ... (07:38) : 

Ummm. The "stripes" are timber. Oak, in fact. That's what hold's hte building up.

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (10:10) : 

LOL Ham ! What a gorgeous building this is too. I recall it. When working in The Temple i would often walk this route and it's great to see it again here and to read its history so thanks so much. Where i live now, in Tewkesbury, we are quite rich in black and white timber architecture and it never fails to remind me of this part of London in particular.

 

Blogger Dsole said ... (11:18) : 

Wow, I never imagine this was London, what a surprise! :)
Greetings from madrid dailyphoto blog

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (13:37) : 

Lots more about Staple Inn here, Ham, but, I hate to say this, that frontage was completely restored in 1936. Then again, London is very old but we do not want it to be turned into a museum, merely an exciting city to live and work in with a lot of history.

http://www.actuaries.org.uk/Display_Page.cgi?url=/stapleinn/hire.html

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (13:39) : 

OK, I was trying to be clever there with the link but it didn't work. Please ignore that and use this:

http://www.actuaries.org.uk/Display_Page.cgi?url=/stapleinn/hire.html

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (18:36) : 

Love those timbers. And the windows look like where maidens used to hang out and yell at peddlars below. This is amazingly old, especially by American standards.

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (19:38) : 

Ham, i bet you're thinking what i'm thinking and i'm not saying what that is. lol.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (00:06) : 

yes London is one city I always wanted to visit , and I am sure I will visit it one day soon. by the way; what is the Photo Software that you use to resize your photos?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:51) : 

sorry about the previous comment , here is my comment again :yes London is one city I always wanted to visit , and I am sure I will visit it one day soon. by the way; what is the Photo Software that you use to resize your photos?

 

Blogger Ham said ... (14:01) : 

Helen - the front was restored, not replaced

Lynne - probably....

Anon - The resizing on Blogger gets done using Hello (which integrates with Picasa), and of course I use Photoshop. My originals are 8 - 10Mp files, I post the larger linked photos at 900 pixels so that nobody has to scroll. However, my all time favourite graphics utility is Vueprint, by far the fastest and easiest for quick edits/conversions etc.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile