Sunday, July 16, 2006

A classic London sight



We are so used to the phone box in London, we pass it by without a thought. It is a perfect example of functional design, and all attempts to find a more up to date replacement have failed. Made me laugh when they discovered that traffic noise stopped them from using a plain hood.

posted by Ham at 01:24 -- Comments here: 11

Comments on "A classic London sight"

 

Blogger NYC TAXI SHOTS said ... (01:29) : 

.

 

Blogger Michael Salone said ... (07:46) : 

And where would Dr. Who be without one?

 

Blogger Kim said ... (08:19) : 

Michael, LOL!

Ham, today I have one last tie-in to photos from LDP. I think London and Seattle are not the only places that have these, and am wondering if others have photos form their cities.

Hope your Sunday is relaxing,
-Kim
Seattle Daily Photo's updated link is
http:/seattle-daily-photo.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Jazzy said ... (08:33) : 

These phone boxes look fabulous, the colour, the windows... Very cool

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (14:58) : 

It is the color that fascinated me.

 

Blogger Passante said ... (16:48) : 

Kim -- I think I saw these phone boxes in Hong Kong years and years ago.

Anyway on my recent visit home (i.e., London) a couple of weeks ago, I don't remember seeing a single one of these older phone boxes (but I did see a truly cool Victorian pillar box. Are the red phone boxes getting more rare, Ham?

 

Blogger C. Jane Kendrick said ... (16:53) : 

I saw one by Parliament Square last month.
I heard that they were going the way of the double decker buses...is it true?

 

Blogger Chris said ... (21:12) : 

Wonderful !

Is that a swinger road ? :-)

 

Blogger Ham said ... (00:29) : 

They ripped out a lot of the old boxes, but discovered that the modern things they put in their place didn't work as well. I don't think there are any plans to replace any more, but the future of call boxes is uncertain, the income from them has plummeted as a result of the mobile phone.

 

Blogger Eric said ... (05:39) : 

Chris, what is a "swinger road"?

 

Blogger Ham said ... (14:55) : 

Eric - that's a cue for tuesday's post - all will be revealed.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile