Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Mayfair



It was the first of May on Sunday, and I thought it would be good to talk to you about Mayfair, whose origins are the ancient May Fairs. However, my favorite modernday Samuel Pepys got there before me - as usual. I'll leave you to read his excellent piece if you would like some well researched background.

I will instead take you into Mayfair, into Shepherd Market, into a maze of little streets of what used to be a den of iniquity. If you are in the area, make the effort to come; these streets are hidden from all sides. Its racy past is now long gone, however I still managed to find you a little blonde girl, a nude and a secret society.

posted by Ham at 00:38 -- Comments here: 12

Comments on "Mayfair"

 

Blogger ryanvdz said ... (08:36) : 

Your links at the end of this post give me the dreaded 404.

Love your blog, by the way. Been reading / viewing for a few months now (from Portland, Oregon, USA). Will be visiting the UK in just about 2 weeks (though not London, unfortunately, been once before in 2001). Will instead be visiting Cornwall, then up to Scotland, and then passing through to Brighton for a couple nights.

Your blog makes me wish I had time in my holiday to visit London for a week (or three). :)

 

Blogger Ham said ... (09:01) : 

Ryan - Links fixed - Thanks for the kind words, don't forget that Brighton, Edinburgh and Newcastle are other UK sites with daily photo blogs.

 

Blogger ryanvdz said ... (09:21) : 

Thanks so much for the links for the other daily photo blogs. Can't wait for my trip! :)

 

Blogger Kris said ... (13:29) : 

a real hidden gem..charming place !

 

Blogger breadchick said ... (14:09) : 

Ham! That is my favourite section of Mayfair and "Ye Grapes" is my favourite pub in Mayfair. I love how with the exception of a few short seats, you have to stand at the window to enjoy your pint. You'd think how often I comment on the pubs in your shots that all I ever did when I was in London was drink a pint. Awesome post as usual.

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (15:14) : 

such beautiful place and very British as well...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (16:00) : 

Great pic! Dry, very dry sense of humour. Love both! As you said, "Its racy past is now long gone ...".

 

Blogger ems said ... (19:17) : 

Love the Grapes. You should try the Polish Mexican restaurant with the French name - L'Autre - also in Shepherd's Market. Peculiar mix I admit but great all the same.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (01:20) : 

Breadchick - I should imagine a sourdough starter made inside the Grapes would be awesome! The amount of beer soaked into the floor doesn't bear thinking about.

Ems - don't often eat up this way, but I'll remember that, thanks!

 

Blogger Jean said ... (07:57) : 

So clever, as you anticipated the blonde, nude and secret society was not what I imagined.

 

Blogger AnnJay said ... (22:27) : 

Been looking for this secret society for some time now...

 

Blogger zdenka pregelj said ... (20:49) : 

Cool shot of such a beautiful "piece" of good old London! Enjoy visiting your blog!

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile