Tuesday, April 04, 2006

This is my BBC



After your view of the transmitter, this is where the BBC started, in Portland Place. Take a closer look at the sculpture above the door - it's of Prosepero and Ariel by Eric Gill who created the font used for the first London Underground Map. (Closer shot on My Other Stuff).

The BBC means something different to each Britton, and I'd like to tell you about my BBC, which has a lot of radio in it. For example, over the last few days, Look Back in Anger, a program about Jazz legend Art Blakey, a program about abortion election issues in Italy, Gospel Music with Beverley Knight (no, I wouldn't normally deliberately listen to this!), and I can't avoid a mention for what must rank as the best London show ever - Robert Elms on Radio London.

I could carry on, but click on a few links and listen to the radio for a change - if you don't enjoy any of it, you can have your money back!

posted by Ham at 00:19 -- Comments here: 6

Comments on "This is my BBC"

 

Blogger G Fraser said ... (09:54) : 

The BBC is a national institution and one which is much maligned. It wasn't until I'd lived overseas that I realised just how good the BBC was, particularly in terms of quality and balance of news coverage. Keep up the good work!

 

Blogger Ineke said ... (12:08) : 

Ham, my grandfather of 91 says he owns his mental health to the BBC. During WWII he was (literally) underground with an -illegal ofcourse- radio on which he listened to the BBC. And that's what he did for months! My grandmother shoved some food into the hidden closest and out of safetey their own kids (my mother included) didnot know their father was hidden under the floor, so he sat there in absolute solitude.
So yeah.. BBC stands for something different to everyone!

 

Blogger Mark said ... (16:16) : 

Ham,I try to listen to BBC London radio every day, but for me Danny Baker's show is the best.
Mark

 

Blogger Carlos Lorenzo said ... (22:10) : 

I like your well documented posts and the interesting links you recommend Ham: these pictures always have a good story behind

 

Blogger Ham said ... (00:46) : 

luminlight - check out his sculptures! he was astonishing. RIBA (which is just up the road from the Beeb) has quie a few of his - This shot of RIBA shows another one of his, I think.

Dutchie - what a wonderful and moving story. Was that in Holland?

mark - everyone has their own BBC :-)

grant, carlos, thanks!

 

Blogger liits said ... (17:51) : 

Are you sure it was Gill who did the font for the underground? The font is called "New Johnston" and was named after Eric Johnston. I think that gill did Gill-sans-serif and, I think Baskerville [but I'm not so sure about the Baskerville]

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile