Wednesday, April 26, 2006

So what do you think this is?



I took today's pic on the way out of the docks. I called in to Trinity Buoy Wharf, which is a little anomaly in the glittering new docklands that rose from the ashes of the old. Here, you can still find old, ramshackle, buildings, and even the new buildings are low rise and fit in with the old: a new arts and workshop centre is being built here. In one corner, huddled together as if to hide from the scrap man, is a rag-tag collection of old dock implements and machinery, with a couple of display boards explaing their function. This was a bag chute, used in warehouses and granaries to move bags between floors.

The best way to get here is by bike - I'll be back to show you some more of this corner of unseen London.

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 6

Comments on "So what do you think this is?"

 

Blogger Eric said ... (07:43) : 

Excellent, I would never have guessed. In fact at first sight I thought it was a staircase (Colimaçon we call it in French - no idea what you call that in English)not realising that the stairs would not have reached the floor! I must me blonde...

 

Blogger Brian Dubé said ... (12:07) : 

Nice, I love those big old pieces of machinery and metal left around that people don't even know what to do with or how to run, built by giants, possibly, there are many such things all over this area too.
L

 

Blogger ems said ... (21:24) : 

Clicked on the link to see where this is and foudn it is between where I live and where I work; never heard of the wharf.

Shell-like but with a pole sticking out is about as good a description as I can manage. Which is, admittedly, pretty poor.

Like the site!

 

Blogger Ham said ... (01:24) : 

Eric, there is such a thing as being an honourary blonde.

Brian & Lucy - most of these places seem to be too untidy to continue existing these days

Ems - it's worth an explore round that way, not an awful lot to see, but what there is harks back to a different age. Also you might like to say hello to Dobbin while you're in the area.

 

Blogger Ame said ... (14:51) : 

Hi Ham!

My guess...it's a huge, rusted copper snail smoking a huge, rusted copper pipe of a cigar!

Am I right?

DARN! Close but no cigar! ;-)

Just humor me...I'm still a little jet-lagged from my trip to Par-eeeee!

PS: Thanks in advance for any Blog help...someday it'll be second nature! Yeah RIGHT!

Ame~

PS: Love your pix...have to visit London someday...actually, my hubby and our eldest son just might hop across the pond this September for his High School graduation gift! Lucky THEM!

 

Blogger Steverino said ... (13:45) : 

I thought it was a huge sculpture by the American artist Claus Oldenberg. He would have loved it as I find delight in it as well. Do have any other pix of it posted on flickr or elsewhere. Love 2C those as well.

Greetings from bone chilling extremely windy Chicago. Reminds me of my visit to the UK for two months in October and November of 2002. Gales in the south east! Wow!

Steve Wall

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile