Thursday, April 27, 2006

Just can't find decent builders, can you?



What's this all about? Regulars here will guess that there will be more than a pile of bricks to talk about.

Today, I have come to Noble Street in the City of London. Back in 1940, the German air raids destroyed quite a lot in this part of London, but at the same time they uncovered this slice of time - the Roman Defences to Londinium dating from AD 200. They had been built over and over again as the years passed, and you can see the layers almost like rings on a tree. The bombed site remained undeveloped for a long while, and has now been incorporated into the modern office buildings on either side. They've done a good job of providing public viewing access.

I like standing on the walkway, imagining the sound of roman sandals on the ramparts.

And even if this wasn;t sufficient to merit a pilgrimage on its own, there is the excellentMuseum of London just next door.

posted by Ham at 01:06 -- Comments here: 6

Comments on "Just can't find decent builders, can you?"

 

Blogger Brian DubĂ© said ... (13:01) : 

very cool. amazing to think there are still vestiges left from Roman times...

 

Blogger breadchick said ... (23:34) : 

Wow Ham! I never even noticed that little hidden gem when I lived there. Now, I've added this to my "must see when next in London" list. Most excellent! I always learn something when I visit LDP.

 

Blogger HappySlob said ... (04:36) : 

This is a really amazing photo. I was just reading a novel about London in WWII and seeing this makes it feel far more real to me now. :)

It's sort of beautiful in an odd, eery way, isn't it?

Christina (in Canada)

 

Blogger Ham said ... (14:23) : 

It is beuatiful, all the more so because it is so hidden. It's sunken, and in an alley off the main road. You could pass it for years without knowing it's there (not your fault, breachick!)

 

Blogger Voix said ... (02:00) : 

I have a very similar photo in my scrap book from when I visited London in 1995. Your photo is much better than mine is! What a cool site.

 

Blogger zdenka pregelj said ... (19:51) : 

Beautiful photo! And great historic monument...

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile