Monday, April 17, 2006

Carey Street



If I said to you "John is in carey street" you would probably know that he was bankrupt. Strangely, I seem to remember (possibly wrongly) that I first read/heard the expression in American comics in the early sixties (can any americans confirm or deny their understanding?). Which surprises me, because here is the reason for the expression.Carey Street is the back entrance of the Royal Courts of Justice (a bit more background here). Anyone can walk in (subject now to a security check) for the simple and elegant reason that justice must not only be done, but be seen to be done. But this Carey Street entrance is where the bankrupcy court used to be held. I love the way that they had to creep in the back way, rather than being able to strut through the magnificent front entrance.

posted by Ham at 00:01 -- Comments here: 4

Comments on "Carey Street"

 

Blogger Jude said ... (03:26) : 

I can confirm that as a USian (the less arrogant term than American--just ask someone in Mexico about it) I never heard the term until I read about it today in your blog. I mostly read Superman back in the early 60s. Perhaps someone else will remember it differently. Thanks for the interesting post.

 

Blogger Anne said ... (06:36) : 

Hmmm interesting bit there Ham...thanks for sharing =)

 

Blogger Ham said ... (19:32) : 

Aggie, thanks. I just have this crazy mixed up memory involving "Acme" anything, Superman, hamburgers and Carey Street is in there somewhere. I can accept being wrong ;-)

 

Blogger Lorethian said ... (20:20) : 

Ham,

I have never heard the expression but I have used it twice in a sentence today so give it time.

http://kansascitydailyphoto.blogspot.com/

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile