Friday, March 03, 2006

Little Venice



Would you guess that this scene is taken about 1Km away from Marble Arch and Oxford Street? This is Little Venice which you can find here. Back in January I posted this, which might not look that different, but in Little Venice they have locks on the gate to their section of towpath, patios with flowers set out - you name it. It may not look that much like Venice, but the poet Robert Browning gave it the name and it stuck.

posted by Ham at 00:26 -- Comments here: 11

Comments on "Little Venice"

 

Blogger Michael Salone said ... (05:15) : 

The water looks frozen...I agree with Manuel, I can't picture where this is at all as I didn't know it existed. Thanks Ham!

 

Blogger Nicola said ... (13:10) : 

Nice! Do people live on these boats all year long?

 

Blogger Mathieu said ... (14:34) : 

Beautiful! i hadn't idea it could be possible to see it around there

 

Blogger Denton said ... (17:18) : 

The boats moored next to each other might be compared to a "double wide" trailer home. Just joking. The photo also reminds me of Amsterdam.

 

Blogger diamond geezer said ... (17:42) : 

I measured it once, and that bridge is exactly one mile from Marble Arch.

 

Blogger Taiga the Fox said ... (21:28) : 

Oh, you are presenting all my favourite places in London. Just lovely, again.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (00:48) : 

Thanks for the comments folks,

Nicola - yes, people do live there the whole year round, and they personalise the space around their boat. Most of them don't go anywhere, but some do travel around the country. I belive at one stage, Richard Branson used to own and live on one.

DG - Even you have missed one of the most significant pieces of Local History. About 20 years ago, the Clarendon Court Hotel (which has since been condemmed) was the site of the internationally renowned "Acolettes" Bridge Club for around nine months. At least it would have been world famous if me and my mates had been able to make it work, but we had fun trying.

 

Blogger texbrit said ... (23:21) : 

Not sure how I found your site I was looking for sites on benches. I don't intend to explain why, just one of those days I guess. Having just returned from a 5 week trip to the UK I returned to Houston yesterday> I am already getting homesick and your Little Venice photo reminds me of my trip to London where I fully intended to walk along the Regents canal and head towards Little Venice. I headed instead in continious rain to London Zoo the closest I got was the canal under the bridge to the Aviary. Maybe next visit on a sunny day i wil be more inspired to go back there. Enjoying the rest of your site by the way. .

 

Blogger Yasser Rahman said ... (09:21) : 

This place was covered in a film called Bride and Prejudice . The moment I saw this picture, it stuck me why its so familiar. Its things like this that make london beautifull :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (07:03) : 

Hi, I'm from Argentina. I visited London some 40 years ago, and stayed at the Clarendon Court Hotel, which was a lovely place to be. It also had around one of it`s corners a very nice and good restaurant called Little Venice. I was very sad to know it`s been condemned. Has it been already demolished? thanks for the info. Juan

 

Anonymous Marcelo said ... (05:34) : 

Hi Juan, did you go to London to play rugby?

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile