Monday, March 06, 2006

Kensal Green Cemetery



What to do on a sunny, but cold, Sunday in London? Mrs Ham & myself joined in a local cycle group (the oldest member is 92!! see pic on My Other Stuff) for a trip to Kensal Green Cemetery, just up river from Little Venice. One of htis group is writing a book on the Egyptian Influences in London (more another day) and was able to give us a tour.

The place was established in the 1830's and modled on Paris's Père Lachaise Cemetery, Eric has a great collage on Paris Daily Photo(or here), and as you can see the UK version is as entirely "over the top" as its inspiration.

I'll select some of the more interesting bits for posts on other days.

posted by Ham at 00:07 -- Comments here: 5

Comments on "Kensal Green Cemetery"

 

Blogger Eric said ... (00:30) : 

Cool. I did not know there was such a cemetery in London. I suppose you are going to show us famous people graves aren't you?

I bet the lecture was fascinating as the one in Père Lachaise in Paris is.

 

Blogger Mathieu said ... (08:41) : 

Beautiful photo, I like cemeteries and wait impatiently the next posts

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (09:47) : 

Yes, the tour sounds interesting...pretty fun thing you did on a Sunday

 

Blogger Ham said ... (14:35) : 

Eric - I think I can promise you that you will know nothing about the ones I'm going to show you.

Manuel - OK, OK, but at least in glorious techinicolour

Matheiu, lisi - thanks, I may just run the remaining ones now.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (22:04) : 

Are you aware of the London Cemeteries site?
http://www.londoncemeteries.co.uk/

The author, also a blogger, is now living in France, but still updating it.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile