Monday, February 06, 2006

Oranges and Lemons say the bells of St Clements



This old nursery rhyme harks back to real places. Most people probably suspect that, after all you can recognise places like Shoreditch, Bow & Stepney, but are unsure where they are. Today, I take you inside the first place, St Clement Danes, which is a church just outside the High Court at the top end of Fleet Street.

With a history of over 1000 years it was razed to the ground by incendaries during the war, and has since been rennovated and adopted as the church of the Royal Air Force.

I'll be getting around each of the places mentioned in time, but if you are impatient, there can be few better informed or written pieces than the Diamond Geezer's piece written in 2001.

If you are there at 9 am, 12, 3 or 6pm you can hear the bells play, Oranges & Lemons.

posted by Ham at 00:23 -- Comments here: 8

Comments on "Oranges and Lemons say the bells of St Clements"

 

Blogger Anne said ... (03:04) : 

Beutiful interior!

 

Blogger Michael Salone said ... (05:25) : 

Ham, I've never heard this before, so was glad you included the link. By the way, saw on Dean's blog your reference to showing him your "wiki". What is that pray tell?

 

Blogger Mathieu said ... (11:03) : 

Magnifique!

 

Blogger Joe said ... (11:39) : 

I want to listen Oranges & Lemons!

ciao JOE

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (17:54) : 

Thanks Ham, really appreciate being able to see this, since me muvver is a cockney and my father was in the RAF.

 

Blogger Lucas said ... (21:13) : 

I am an American but I lived in England for 3 years as a very small child. It was startling to read what you wrote and actually remember that nursery rhyme from such a long time ago. Thanks for sharing. Gorgeous church.

 

Blogger Blamey said ... (08:05) : 

Like Lucas I realy enjoy being reminded of my time in London - and seeing a new perspective from you - and as you say some of the things we think we know - we don't really see them as well as we might - thanks for the assistance!

 

Blogger Ham said ... (17:39) : 

Thanks for your comments, all - interesting to hear.

Joe - I will try to record it for you!

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile