Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Animal VC - because they had no choice



At the top end of Park Lane, near Marble arch is a most beautiful and moving monument to the animals who have died in war - "because they had no choice". Since 1943, sixty animals have been awarded the Animal VC, a Dickin medal, the equivalent of the military Victoria Cross or the highest award for gallantry.

If you would like to find out more, do listen to the BBC series of radio programmes. (follow this link to listen on line)

posted by Ham at 12:16 -- Comments here: 4

Comments on "The Animal VC - because they had no choice"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (23:42) : 

Very nice shot, the guy in grey could be part of the still scene :)

 

Blogger Eric said ... (11:22) : 

Er... do humans have a choice when it comes to death???

 

Blogger Ham said ... (11:53) : 

I was framing up, waiting for the guy to get the out the way when I suddenly realised what I was looking at and took this one. That he was dressed to match the statues is a bonus. The "straight" photo from the other angle is on My Other Stuff.

 

Blogger Chuckeroon said ... (09:19) : 

Tks for reminding us of your 2006 Animals in War shot. a) I wasn't DPing then b) I'm sory to say that I was completely unaware of the new(?) statue (amazing how rapidly one can get out of touch!!!!).

The chap in grey really fills in nicely, doesn't he?

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile