Friday, December 30, 2005

Chips, anyone?




Today, here is an information broacast. Many people, Londonders and people who visit London, are always on the lookout for the best fish & chips shop. Here is my nomination, The Fryer's Delight in Theobalds Road (near Proctor Street). I have been going there for over twenty years, and while the area around has changed character entirely, it is still there. You can always tell a good chippie by the number of London cab drivers in it ... this one is packed.

posted by Ham at 06:55 -- Comments here: 5

Comments on "Chips, anyone?"

 

Blogger scouter573 said ... (00:42) : 

How about Geale's off Notting Hill Gate? 2, Farmer St.

Google Maps link (roughly)

 

Blogger Ham said ... (14:01) : 

Thanks for the suggestion and yes, that it an excellent one too but Fryers Delight still gets my vote for all time best. The one that gets my thumbs down is the Sea Shell of Lisson Grove which has found its way into most guide books. They are OK, but no better, really.

 

Blogger dazey rosie said ... (17:22) : 

i walk past this on my way to and from work and always promise myself I'll go one day. It smells great, is busy in the evenings and just looks a though it will be good! I'm glad it is - thank you for letting us know - another thing to add to my new year london resolutions.
x

 

Blogger Ham said ... (21:47) : 

Do report back - I haven't been in for a while, but my office used to be round the corner (near Queens Square)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (15:03) : 

I too would love to hear about how Fryer's Delight is doing. I studied in London in the Spring 1998 and Fryer's was right around the corner from my flat on Gray's Inn Road. I remember it being a wonderful place for a fried food fix. The last time I was there was in May 1999 and am looking forward to heading back when we come at the end of March. However, I've noticed a couple of recent bad online reviews at various London eating websites, so needless to say I'm a bit disheartened that one of my favorites is possibly not as good as it once was? Confusing since Time Out mentioned Fryer's in an August 2005 issue about one of the best chippies in London (based on reader reviews). Keep me posted!

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile